[Pythonmac-SIG] how big is fat?

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Jul 15 18:47:59 CEST 2006

I have an app from a year ago that needed one tweak. When I build it
on a PowerBook G4 with Python 2.4.1 (Mar 23 2005 build) and wxPython
2.6.3.0, using --strip in the 'python setup.py py2app' command, I get
an executable of 16Mb. (For some reason I don't understand, this is
already 5Mb bigger than the executable I built a few months ago.)

When I build it on an Intel iMac with Python 2.4.3 (Apr 7 2006 buld)
and wxPython 2.6.3.2rc1, the app is fifty megabytes.

Two really simple questions:

1. Get Info says the executable built on the Intel Mac, with
Universal versions of Python and wxPython, is an "Application
(PowerPC)" -- why doesn't it say "Application (Universal)"?

2. What's behind the bloat? Is it simply that it is a Universal app,
though Get Info doesn't recognize it as that? And is there anything
to be done about it?

Charles Hartman