[Pythonmac-SIG] build matplotlib on 10.3.9 without a bus error?

Russell E Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Wed Jul 5 05:49:07 CEST 2006

At 8:32 PM -0400 7/3/06, Charlie Moad wrote:
>On 7/3/06, Russell E. Owen <rowen at cesmail.net> wrote:
>>I'm trying to build on a PPC MacOS X 10.3.9 system using Python 2.4.1,
>>but "import pylab" gives a bus error. (This is for a python app I
>>distribute, so I can't give up on 10.3.9 yet. Once I solve this problem
>>then I can redo it with static linking).
>>
>>This is with hand-installed (no fink or DarwinPorts) versions of:
>>- Python 2.4.1
>>- ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.4.11
>>- matplotlib 0.87.3
>>- zlib 1.2.3
>>- freetype 2.2.1
>>- libpng 1.2.10
>>- numarray 1.5.1
>>- Numeric 24.2
>>
>>I tried google and see somebody else saying the same, but no solution.
>>Any ideas?
>
>Have you tried using the 10.4 fat binaries for OSX that we provide for
>matplotlib?  Don't be deceived by the 10.4, since they are built
>targeting 10.3.9.  They already have freetype and libpng statically
>compiled in.  Try downloading the egg and just unzipping it.  I don't
>*think* the 2.4.1 vs. 2.4.3 should be an issue, but its worth a shot.
>
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=82474&release_id=422840
>
>- Charlie

I had no idea the "10.4" fat binaries were compatible with 10.3.9! Wow!

There is one issue, however: my app is a Tkinter app and it needs to
run under Intel and PPC Macs. Right now I enforce that by building
everything PPC-only and having it run under emulation on Intel --
which works fine.

If/when a fat Aqua Tcl/Tk comes out that works with my app, I can try
to make it all fat. But that could be awhile. I suspect the current
ActiveState Tcl/Tk (8.4.13) is not fat, and even if it were -- Aqua
Tcl/Tk 8.4.13 and 8.4.12 both have bugs (losing the mouse position)
that are killers for my app (but 8.4.11 works fine).

I've been assuming that either all components need to be fat or else
all need to be PPC-only to be safe on Intel. Perhaps that's too
paranoid?

-- Russell

P.S. Python 2.4.1 isn't an issue for me. I use ActivState's PPC
Python 2.4.3 at work.