[Pythonmac-SIG] build matplotlib on 10.3.9 without a bus error?

Charlie Moad cwmoad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 02:32:23 CEST 2006

On 7/3/06, Russell E. Owen <rowen at cesmail.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to build on a PPC MacOS X 10.3.9 system using Python 2.4.1,
> but "import pylab" gives a bus error. (This is for a python app I
> distribute, so I can't give up on 10.3.9 yet. Once I solve this problem
> then I can redo it with static linking).
>
> This is with hand-installed (no fink or DarwinPorts) versions of:
> - Python 2.4.1
> - ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.4.11
> - matplotlib 0.87.3
> - zlib 1.2.3
> - freetype 2.2.1
> - libpng 1.2.10
> - numarray 1.5.1
> - Numeric 24.2
>
> I tried google and see somebody else saying the same, but no solution.
> Any ideas?

Have you tried using the 10.4 fat binaries for OSX that we provide for
matplotlib?  Don't be deceived by the 10.4, since they are built
targeting 10.3.9.  They already have freetype and libpng statically
compiled in.  Try downloading the egg and just unzipping it.  I don't
*think* the 2.4.1 vs. 2.4.3 should be an issue, but its worth a shot.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=82474&release_id=422840

- Charlie