[Pythonmac-SIG] Fink vs. MacPython

Gábor Farkas gabor at nekomancer.net
Mon Feb 13 11:00:39 CET 2006

Markus wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Somewhere deep in the latest discussion I read a remark by Bob that
> he would not recommend the use of Finks python (there also was
> another that he didn't like Debian so that may explain it :)
>
> I came from Debian to OS X and nearly the first thing I did was to
> install Fink and thusly python. The three extensions I needed so far
> did install with 'python setup.py install' and everything works fine
> for me.
>
> So why is Fink 'bad'? Am I missing some features I would have had
> with MacPython?

as others already stated, if you want to interact with the "apple" part
of the operating system (gui & things like that), then that simply
cannot be done with fink-python.

on the other hand, if you need to work with the "non-gui" part (for
example use postgresql-with-python, sqlite-with-python,
anything-with-python), then that's much easier with fink or darwinports.

gabor