[Pythonmac-SIG] install again?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Feb 8 21:42:45 CET 2006

On 8-feb-2006, at 21:21, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> I'd say soon... The only issues left are to sort out the
>>> distribution
>>> scripts and some more testing I guess.
>>
>> Having a working build environment would also be nice.  'make
>> frameworkinstall'
>> fails if builddir != srcdir. I'm working on this right now.
>
> It worked for me.. I never build in srcdir.  What's the problem?

$make frameworkinstall
gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /  -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-
double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -
g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I../Include  -c -o Mac/OSX/
PythonLauncher/main.o ../Mac/OSX/PythonLauncher/main.m
lipo: can't create output file: Mac/OSX/PythonLauncher/main.o (No
such file or directory)

svn diff says that everything is fine. Maybe it's because I'm
building a DTK system and I haven't bothered upgrading it because I'm
running headless and didn't have a screen lying around when update
came in.

Anyway, don't like your solution for building PythonLauncher. I've
replaced it by a Makefile.in in Mac/OSX/PythonLauncher, that way all
logic for building
PythonLauncher is nicely located in the Mac/OSX/PythonLauncher
directory. I might rewrite Mac/OSX/Makefile as well now that I'm
working on this.

>> BTW. The distribution script is mostly done but I stopped because
>> I got annoyed by the aformentioned build problems. Hopefully I can
>> finish it
>> this week.
>>
>> BTW2. Does anyone know why the python is linked using c++? Would
>> that cause
>> problems if you build python itself using gcc 4 on Tiger and then
>> use g++ 3.3
>> to build extensions on 10.3 (say because you want to build wxPython)?
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-July/036775.html
>
> """
> This change was needed to support various C++ compilers that would
> fail to link Modules/ccpython.cc with the C compiler.
> """
>
> The question then becomes, why does the main program need to be
> compiled with C++?

That's the same as my question (although I did phrase it very
awkwardly, use
s/the python is/the python executable is/ to fix that).

Maybe it is necessary to ensure proper behaviour for C++ extensions
with global
variables that have constructors, in which case we'd probably be
hosed. Does anyone
has a Python extension that does this lying around (compiled using g+
+-3 on Panther)?

The 10.3 system I'm testing the universal build on doesn't have a
compiler installed,
the only other system with 10.3 is my main machine. I'll have to
install various flavours
of 10.3 on an external disk one of these days ;-)

Ronald