[Pythonmac-SIG] install again?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Feb 8 21:21:49 CET 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 7-feb-2006, at 0:59, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>>
>>> Bob, what do you think the timescale is for a universal build? If
>>> it's
>>> soon, then we should work on re-0writing the web site as though it's
>>> ready to go.
>>
>> I'd say soon... The only issues left are to sort out the distribution
>> scripts and some more testing I guess.
>
> Having a working build environment would also be nice.  'make
> frameworkinstall'
> fails if builddir != srcdir. I'm working on this right now.

It worked for me.. I never build in srcdir.  What's the problem?

> BTW. The distribution script is mostly done but I stopped because
> I got annoyed by the aformentioned build problems. Hopefully I can
> finish it
> this week.
>
> BTW2. Does anyone know why the python is linked using c++? Would
> that cause
> problems if you build python itself using gcc 4 on Tiger and then
> use g++ 3.3
> to build extensions on 10.3 (say because you want to build wxPython)?

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-July/036775.html

"""
This change was needed to support various C++ compilers that would
fail to link Modules/ccpython.cc with the C compiler.
"""

The question then becomes, why does the main program need to be
compiled with C++?