[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list (Or: everyone's talking; no-one's listening)

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Feb 8 18:00:58 CET 2006

Charles Hartman wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Louis Pecora wrote:
>

> I'd like to get some feedback on the organization I proposed before I
> start trying to flesh anything out. The better the organization before
> I start, the less confusing (not to mention time-consuming) the work
> to refine it. I don't promise anything by the end of the weekend, but
> I'll hope to crank out a first (and text-only, not html) mock-up.
>
> Keep them cards & letters comin'.
>
> Charles

Agree.

Here's what you wrote:

Somebody who comes idly to the idea of programming in Python, and
finds the pythonmac page, will be happy if the result is an
afternoon's work that ends in a "hello world," possibly in a window.
Using my own arbitrary preferences, that would entail:

1. downloading & installing Bob's framework
2. downloading & installing TigerPython24Fix
3. adding /usr/local/bin to the PATH
4. downloading & installing wxPython
5. downloading & installing [fill in name of IDE]
6. starting to browse how-to-program sites and writing some bits

I like what Chris Baker had (If I can remember it).  It involved a division into various categories like:

o  Getting right into the Python already on your Mac (yes, it's already there!)

o  Getting a more powerful (better word here?) version of python (2.4.1) that will work better with other packages and provide more features (Charles, your list here, items 1. to 3. for a three-step process and an easy install of 2.4.1

o  Add-ons (other packages, better word here?):  a short list, where to get them, how to install them, pointers to other more complete lists.  Here we put wxPython, IDEs,

o  Your item 6.

I found Chris B.'s list (which I like).  It offers some good categories and overlaps the above.  Hope this helps.

[from Chris B.]

Welcome to Python on the Mac!

Intro-
   links to other python resources, etc.

What Python should I use?
   -- brief discussion of the options.

   --The "Recommended Option" -- for users without special needs or
newbies that don't know what they need
   ----- Link to Binary Python 2.4.* installer
   ----- Instructions of stuff to do after installing:
         -- Install TigerPython24Fix
         -- Add /usr/local/bin to your PATH
         -- Note: couldn't those steps be optionally done by the installer?
   ----- Link to Collection of packages on Pythonmac.org

   ----- Link to Wiki pages for people that need to use other Pythons.
Perhaps build instructions, etc.

What do I do now?