[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list (Or: everyone's talking; no-one's listening)

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Feb 8 17:18:27 CET 2006

has wrote:
> So there's two options to this whole "let's market Mac Python" thing. Either go for the "my way or the highway" approach, which'll largely look after itself but cater to only a subset of the possible market and let Ruby take the rest. OR agree to work alongside one another as two fairly independent teams, one catering to the casual end of the market, the other to the serious.
>
> If folk can agree on the latter approach, both camps should set up on the same website, and each look after their own sections of interest. As for the frontpage, split it across the middle: top half for the cheery "let's introduce you to Python in 30 seconds" spiel; bottom half for "here be teh hardcore haxxors; come be one with us if you think you're hard enough". And somewhere in the middle, you can have a Top 10 lists of why it's really worth upgrading to the latest and greatest Python et-al, providing a natural path for casual users to follow once we've got our hooks in 'em good and proper.
>
> has

I agree with the 2 teams approach and hope I can add something to the
non-pro/scientific user end.   I would encourage Charles H. to get the
new web page up sooner than later.  That's not demanding he work and I
watch, but I think that seeing a page in our browsers with place holders
for things to be done would be helpful.   It would show us visually what
needs to be filled in and, for me, certainly would be clearer where I
can add my limited knowledge.  We can feed him info as we learn about
different parts.

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora