[Pythonmac-SIG] First experiences with the python24-fat tree.

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Feb 4 22:16:39 CET 2006

On 4-feb-2006, at 21:26, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 4-feb-2006, at 21:02, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>
>> What I don't quite understand is that the latter patch doesn't
>> quite work: the i386 contains weak links to fstatvfs and other
>> 10.4-only symbols, but the ppc version does not. A small test
>> program does work correctly.
>
> I hope nobody noticed this e-mail :-(. You have to set
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 (or any value except 10.1) before
> building, else gcc ignores weak linking instructions for ppc
> builds. I've solved this more permantently by adding these lines to
> Makefile.pre.in (just after settings CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT):
>
> #
> # Ensure that the deployment target doesn't change between
> configure and
> # build time.
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=@CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET@

Arghh, this doesn't help. Modules/posixmodule.o gets build with weak
linking enabled, but the creation of $(BUILDPYTHON) ignores the
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET setting in the Makefile and you must once
again set it while running make.

It must be an off night for me, it's quite obvious why this doesn't
work: make variables are not the same as environment variables.  GNU
make has a feature to export variables to the environment, but the
toplevel makefile should only contain portable code. Oh well, you win
some an you loose some.

> This ensures that make and distutils will use the same setting of
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET. A better fix might be to drop
> CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET entirely, I'll do that later.

But not unless I find a way to use the value that configure
calculated in the makefile.

Ronald