[Pythonmac-SIG] First experiences with the python24-fat tree.

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Feb 4 21:26:36 CET 2006

On 4-feb-2006, at 21:02, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> What I don't quite understand is that the latter patch doesn't
> quite work: the i386 contains weak links to fstatvfs and other 10.4-
> only symbols, but the ppc version does not. A small test program
> does work correctly.

I hope nobody noticed this e-mail :-(. You have to set
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 (or any value except 10.1) before
building, else gcc ignores weak linking instructions for ppc builds.
I've solved this more permantently by adding these lines to
Makefile.pre.in (just after settings CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT):

#
# Ensure that the deployment target doesn't change between configure and
# build time.
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=@CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET@

This ensures that make and distutils will use the same setting of
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET. A better fix might be to drop
CONFIGURE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET entirely, I'll do that later.

Ronald