[Pythonmac-SIG] Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 40, Issue 25

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 29 17:55:33 CEST 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 2:46 AM, Dan White wrote:

> you might already know the newest version of the intel compilers is
> version 30...
> so you might want to try that...

Thanks for the tip, Dan! But Intel screwed up my licensing on the
9.1.030 release, so I can't use it, I've been trying to get a license
from them for five days.

Warning to all Mac users considering the Intel compilers: they
generate great code, produce great warning messages, can help you
clean up your projects. And the licensing is a real stumbling block.

I don't think the re-distributables are an issue, frankly, from my
reading of the user license. It's the logistics of procuring the
product and maintaining the license files where our group is having
trouble. With the update to 9.1.30, the compiler suddenly demanded a
new FLEXlm license, contradicting the terms of our purchase, but try
explaining that to a computer program...

Okay. Rant over. For all that, Intel tech support has been very
responsive. I honestly believe that the Intel compiler team is
excited about the Macintosh platform...

Another caveat is that the Intel compiler is 32-bit only at the
moment. The GCC compiler seems to produce 64-bit code on my Mac Pro
with the "-m64" switch, but I have to investigate this further.

I'll try building with the 9.1.03x compiler as soon as I resolve the
licensing issue.

Can anyone out there in Pythonmac-SIG-land reproduce my recipe for
Intel-compiler-built Python?

I'm interested in results. Note that it isn't a fat binary, it's
Intel-only...

I'd like some suggestions for running pystone on this build.

Thanks all!

  - boyd