[Pythonmac-SIG] Permission of package installed by mpkgs...

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 9 22:29:47 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I just helped a friend install the PIL mpgk from:

http://www.pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/

On an OS-X 1-0.4.* Intel Mac.

After installing, "import Image" still didn't work, so we went poking
into /Library.Frameworks,.....etc, and found that indeed, the PIL dir
and PIL.pth has been installed in site-packages, but that neither had
read permissions for anyone but the owner, and the owner was set to
"localadm", rather than "root" or the name of the user that ran the
installer.

When we added read permissions for all, it now works fine, but what the
heck is going on?

By the way, we were not asked for the admin password when running the
installer.

On my machine (PPC 10.4.7), I notice that PIL is owned by me (the user
that installed it), but also has no read perms for anyone but the owner.
As I'm the owner, it works for me, but that doesn't seem right.

One other difference between the two machines: I think my friend's is
set up to authenticate off a Windows Domain controller, which might have
something to do with why his got installed by "localadmin", rather than
himself.

As I look at my site-packages dir, things are a bit messy. Most stuff is
owned by me, with a smattering owned by root, but all have a+r perms,
except PIL. this stuff is a mixture of packages installed from mpkgs and
regular old setup.py install.

What's going on? How should this work? I have no idea how, but my
thought is that mpkgs should ask for a password, then install as root.
Of course with the appropriate read permissions.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov