[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript questions

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Aug 4 01:24:51 CEST 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 3:49 PM, Dethe Elza wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>>  On Aug 3, 2006, at 7:08 PM, has wrote:
>>> p.s. If anyone'd like to help me out a bit, I'd really like to get
>>> all the manuals into the standard Python documentation format
>>> now. So
>>> if you're familiar with the tools and would like to have a go then
>>> let me know - it'd be much appreciated.
>>
>> Why do you want to do that?  You have to use special tools to convert
>> that to a useable format.
>
> And if you're trying to get docs into the standard library, those
> folks
> are perfectly willing to take plaintext documentation and dress it
> up in
> LaTeX themselves.

I really don't think that should be any immediate concern in the
appscript case, I'd definitely be -1 on that. I don't think it would
be a good idea to put more platform-specific stuff in Python, or to
subject appscript and its dependencies to the same release schedule
as Python itself. I'd like to see most of plat-mac get extricated
from Python in the future, and move the cross-platform chunks like
plistlib and applesingle to the standard library (or just separate
projects).

A much better and more immediate plan would be to setuptools-ify
appscript so that it's easy to build and install. That could be done
and released in an hour (oh how I love "python setup.py register
bdist_egg sdist upload -s").