[Pythonmac-SIG] PythonLauncher replacement for Python 2.4.x universal builds?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Aug 1 01:17:34 CEST 2006

On Jul 31, 2006, at 3:42 PM, Kevin Altis wrote:

> I'm thinking about finally moving over to the universal Python 2.4.x
> build on my Intel duo iMac rather than using the Python 2.3.5 and
> wxPython that it shipped with. One concern I have though is a
> replacement for PythonLauncher which I still use regularly to
> launch .py and .pyw wxPython and PythonCard programs from the Finder.
> Creating standalones of these applications with py2app is not my
> goal,  nor would it be an adequate workaround as the programs can
> change frequently and rebuilding a standalone would be an
> unacceptable overhead. Having to run the scripts from the Terminal
> all the time would be a pain.

Alias bundles remove the pain of rebuilding for frequently changing
scripts. Not that big of a deal to make one.

py2applet -A someapp.py
open someapp.app

http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html

> Currently, I can choose to edit the files or run them simply by
> choosing a different editor or PythonLauncher via the Open With menu
> item which works just as well for aliases to the files. If its
> possible to make something equivalent to PythonLauncher that would
> basically work the same way that would be acceptable.
>
> Thanks in advance for a pointer to an updated PythonLauncher or
> workaround!

A copy of PythonLauncher always ships with the installer.
/Applications/MacPython 2.4/PythonLauncher.app