[Pythonmac-SIG] troubles with distutils

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sun Sep 18 08:58:15 CEST 2005

andrea valle wrote:
> Now I want to install pyx (http://pyx.sourceforge.net/) but it seems
> that I am not able to.
>
> this is my command line:
>
> apples-Computer:~ apple$ python /Users/apple/Desktop/PyX-0.8.1/setup.py
> install
> running install
> error: $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET mismatch: now "" but "10.3" during
> configure
> apples-Computer:~ apple$
>
> What's the problem? What should I do?
>
> pS: I've macosx 10.3.8 with active Python 2.4 (#1, Jun 12 2005,
> 14:30:47)

I'm not sure I can be that much help, but I can think of a couple things
to try first;

Are you sure you're getting active Python with "python" at the command
line? Depending on how your PATH is configured, you may not be.

Perhaps the package you downloaded has some cruft left over from a build
on the developer's machine. Try:

python setup.py build

(you should do that anyway, I always build first, as a user, and then
install with sudo)

If that gets the same error, you might try deleting the build directory,
if there is one, and trying again. It's the easiest way to force a
complete rebuild.

-Chris