[Pythonmac-SIG] Installation of waste by MacPython installer

Freek Dijkstra apple at macfreek.nl
Mon Sep 5 13:29:41 CEST 2005

Hi,

I just installed MacPython 2.3 (on my Mac with Tiger 10.4), and found
that the IDE did not launch with this error in the console.log:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/Applications/MacPython/PythonIDE.app/ \
     Contents/Resources/PythonIDE.py", line 58, in ?
     import PythonIDEMain as _PythonIDEMain
   File "/Applications/MacPython/PythonIDE.app/ \
     Contents/Resources/PythonIDEMain.py", line 7, in ?
     import W
   File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/ \
     Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/W.py", line 7, in ?
     from Wtext import *
   File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/ \
     Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/Wtext.py", line 6, in ?
     import waste
ImportError: No module named waste

(included line-breaks for readability).

The problem was solved relatively easy:
I noticed that
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages
points to /Library/Python/2.3/site-packages/
but that waste.so was installed (apparently by the MacPython 2.3)
installer in /Library/Python/2.3/.

mv /Library/Python/2.3/waste.so /Library/Python/2.3/site-packages/
did solve the problem, and PythonIDE did launch.

Is this a bug in the installer? If so, where should I report this?
I was able to solve this thanks to previous messages on this list, but
maybe it's useful for other users if this is fixed in future version
(perhaps the aforementioned symbolic link changed from
/Library/Python/2.3/ to /Library/Python/2.3/site-packages/ since 10.4?)

Kind regards,
Freek Dijkstra