[Pythonmac-SIG] [q] Help with choosing "right" python port

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 26 19:52:45 CEST 2005

Kent Quirk wrote:
> The thing to realize is that IDLE is a TK application...and so is the
> turtle graphics. They conflict.

Huh? I thought you could run TK apps form IDLE, and indeed that the
newer IDLE ran the app in separate process, just to avoid this kind of
problem!

However, IDLE and TkInter have never been all that well supported on
OS-X, so I agree:

> Consider teaching kids to use a text editor instead of typing things
> into IDLE.

TextWrangler is another freely available option. PyOxide would be great,
if it's bug-free enough to be generally usable. I haven't checked it out
for while, nor heard reports. there are also a number of cross-platform
funding to make SPE work better on OS-X, so that's promising.

Also check out PythonCard, which I think includes a version of Turtle
graphics as well.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov