[Pythonmac-SIG] [q] Help with choosing "right" python port

Neal Carpenter ncarpenter at teachers.org
Sun Oct 23 22:22:03 CEST 2005

The problem: From within IDLE, I type:

from turtle import *
reset()

I then get a small window, titled tk, and a new 'console' window.
When I move the cursor to either of these I get a spinning rainbow
disk, and am unable to enlarge the tk window. This does not happen
when I use Terminal.

I want to use IDLE (for ease of use) and turtle graphics (for
motivation) to teach programming to my 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Am
I doing something wrong? Is this a problem with IDLE? Is there a fix
or a work-around? (I'm very new to Python myself and have warned my
students that I'll be learning it from them, as they learn from me.)

Also, what is the 'Console' window for? I've tried typing in it only
to get error messages.

This started while I was using Jack Jensen's IDLE, and Tiger's
built-in Python (2.3.5?); I've spent most of the day searching for a
solution and came upon your name in Pythonmac-SIG. So I got to your
site, downloaded and ran 2.4.1 and the TigerPython24Fix, only to find
that the exact same thing still happens - import turtle stuff, invoke
any turtle word, and find a small window that 'works' (the turtle
moves around, on command) but that cannot be enlarged (still the
swirling rainbow disk).

Thanks for your time - any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Stay in Touch!

Neal Carpenter                                  Search for the Eternal.
ncarpenter at teachers.org                        Find it ... In the Search.