[Pythonmac-SIG] Non-Qt basic question

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Oct 14 21:38:40 CEST 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Terry Jones wrote:

> Hi again.
>
> While attempting to solve my Qt problem, I made a dead-simple Hello
> World
> python script (two lines, #!... and print) and turned it into an
> app with
> py2app.
>
> When I run it (open on the command line, double click in the
> finder, single
> click on the icon in the dock), I get 'Hello World' printed to the
> console.
>
> That's what I expected.
>
> However, when I send the app to a friend and he runs it (also on
> 10.3.x if
> that makes any difference), nothing appears on the console, or
> anywhere
> else, no matter how he tries to run it .  That's not at all what I
> expected.
>
> The setup.py is of course trivial, the contents of the dist and build
> directories look as I would expect, py2app runs with no error, and as
> mentioned the app runs fine on my machine.
>
> I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but this is roughly the
> simplest possible app and I'm following the instructions in the py2app
> docs.
>
> I've put the resulting app into http://jones.tc/simple.app.bz2 in case
> anyone wants a look.

There's something wrong with the way it's linked together.  The
Python framework doesn't have its headers rewritten, and I'm not sure
what the heck libbz2 is doing in there.  This isn't the official 2.4
distro, is it?  I've never seen it do this before.

Unfortunately, I don't really care about 10.3 anymore, so there isn't
much more I can do for you...