[Pythonmac-SIG] Non-Qt basic question

Terry Jones tcj25 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 21:26:38 CEST 2005

Hi again.

While attempting to solve my Qt problem, I made a dead-simple Hello World
python script (two lines, #!... and print) and turned it into an app with
py2app.

When I run it (open on the command line, double click in the finder, single
click on the icon in the dock), I get 'Hello World' printed to the console.

That's what I expected.

However, when I send the app to a friend and he runs it (also on 10.3.x if
that makes any difference), nothing appears on the console, or anywhere
else, no matter how he tries to run it .  That's not at all what I
expected.

The setup.py is of course trivial, the contents of the dist and build
directories look as I would expect, py2app runs with no error, and as
mentioned the app runs fine on my machine.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but this is roughly the
simplest possible app and I'm following the instructions in the py2app
docs.

I've put the resulting app into http://jones.tc/simple.app.bz2 in case
anyone wants a look.

Terry