[Pythonmac-SIG] book recommendation

David Reed dreedmac at columbus.rr.com
Wed Nov 16 01:16:43 CET 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Dethe Elza wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> While no one book covers all of Cocoa, going through a book can
> help give you a "feel" for how Cocoa programs come together.  I've
> often caught myself making things *way* more difficult than they
> need to be before I discovered the Coccoa Way To Do It.  I'm still
> learning the Cocoa Way, but it is worth the effort.
>
> I've found that both the Hillegass[1] and Garfinkel[2] books were
> worth reading, as have quite different approaches and cover
> different parts of Cocoa to some degree.  I've heard good things
> about the Anguish[3] book, and while I haven't read it, I have read
> his earlier book and have high expectations of this one.
>
> Finally, keeping something like AppKiDo[4] around can help you
> navigate the Apple documentation more readily.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> --Dethe
>
> [1] Aaron Hillegass, Cocoa Programming for OS X, ISBN: 0321213149
> [2] Garfinkel and Mahoney, Building Cocoa Applications: A Step by
> Step Guide, ISBN: 0596002351
> [3] Scott Anguish, et al., Cocoa Programming, ISBN: 0672322307
> [4] http://homepage.mac.com/aglee/downloads/appkido.html

Thanks to everyone who replied. The [4] program looks excellent for a
reference. I still need a book to help me "learn the Cocoa way" as
Dethe puts it. I'll probably take a look at the above mentioned books
and buy at least one of them. The Mac XCode 2 book I have also
appears that it will be useful for learning to use XCode but not for
really understanding Cocoa (as I would expect based on the title).

Dave