[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript Container Errors

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sat Nov 12 12:39:41 CET 2005

Here's fine. The MacScrpt list <http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=macscrpt> is also useful if you've got questions on using specific applications rather than appscript itself.

>A bit of background, I'm currently working on a project that interfaces
>with OmniGraffle.  While I don't expect any application specific
>answers, I'm looking for a bit of info on what some specific errors
>mean.

Cocoa apps are notorious for lousy error reporting - the Cocoa Scripting framework generates rubbish default descriptions and most developers fail to implement their own. For a basic translation of all those NSIncomprehensibleNonsense messages, see:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/ObjC_classic/Classes/NSScriptObjectSpecifier.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000042-12193

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/ObjC_classic/Classes/NSScriptCommand.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000009-36822

>NSContainerSpecifierError
>I'm getting this when attempting to use the make command.  I'm under the
>the general assumption that this means the point at which I'm trying to
>insert my new object is not willing to accept the creation of that type
>of object.

An invalid or incorrect reference, most likely the insertion location in this case. You'd need to post code for more specific advice.

>NSArgumentsWrongScriptError
>I'm assuming this means, "Hey, dummy, you gave me an apple when I asked
>for an orange."

Yup. Wrong type or value. Again, post code if you need more help.

>NSUnknownKeyScriptError

File a bug report.

BTW, don't be shy about bugging the developer to improve their error reporting in general, and Apple about providing better default error reporting in the first place.

HTH

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/