[Pythonmac-SIG] Crossplatform UI libraries best supported on the Mac?

Karl Merkley karl at elemtech.com
Tue May 24 19:19:15 CEST 2005

On May 24, 2005, at 9:57 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On May 24, 2005, at 8:35 AM, Karl Merkley wrote:
>
>> All I can say is that I ported my very large, very complex app to the
>> Mac during the last 6 month release cycle.  Qt was the least of my
>> worries.   Everything worked great with a single code base on all my
>> platforms.  I did run into one problem with custom cursors and I had
>> disable them on the Mac.  A bummer but not a killer.    Yes, I did
>> have
>> to do my own packaging using the installl_name_tool.  I had to build a
>> script to build the bundle for me.  But I have so many component
>> libraries and frameworks that I wanted to make sure that I know
>> exactly
>> what is going on anyway.
>
> But does it look and feel like a typical Mac OS X application?
> Though, it sounds like you have the sort of application where that
> doesn't really matter -- and maybe it's not even what you're going for
> (custom cursors!).

Actually, it does have a nice Mac look and feel.  The application is a
CAD-like thing and the custom cursors help the user to know if you are
picking a vertex, curve, surface, or volume.  All that happens in a
custom graphics window.   I am currently recommending that Mac users
get a 3-button mouse (heresy!) because while there is a capability to
switch mouse interactions for the 3-D environment it is not currently
very Mac friendly.  Next release ;-)

> It's good that you spent the time to figure out how to package such an
> application on the Mac.  Most people don't... or if they do, they
> don't get far enough into it to do it correctly.
>
> You shouldn't have to create such scripts or track components like
> that.  You're already linking to it, why should you have to do
> anything else?  The macho_standalone tool that comes with py2app does
> all of this automatically, you might want to take a look at it.

Thanks, I'll take a look at macho_standalone.

	Karl