[Pythonmac-SIG] Python threading.Thread vs PyObjC performOnMainThread

Jack Nutting jnutting at gmail.com
Mon May 16 23:32:46 CEST 2005

> > Including an entire "custom" version of Python just seems like a
> > bad solution to me.  It may be the only solution, depending on
> > various other circumstances, but it seems kind of sad to say "well,
> > OS X ships with Python.framework, but it can't be used to write a
> > Python IDE".
>
> Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4 ship with a Python 2.3 framework.  Mac OS X
> 10.5 (hopefully) will not.  Do you want to have to maintain separate
> versions of your app for 10.3-10.4 and 10.5, so as to use the
> standard Python?

<my $0.02 />
I'd like to heartily second (or third, or fourth) this sentiment.  As
I've discovered just from releasing my simple pygame games (which
don't jump through any of the hoops you need to do with PyOXIDE),
relying on Apple-supplied python is probably innappropriate for all
but the very simplest python applicaions (e.g. simple utility scripts
and the like).  Apple dangles that Python.framework carrot there, but
if you want to make software that runs on more than one version of Mac
OS X, the framework does you no good, and in fact lulls you into a
false sense of security, making you think that you're being a good
citizen by using a built-in resource that will carry you along to
future versions (which it most certainly will NOT).

--
// jack