[Pythonmac-SIG] Python threading.Thread vs PyObjC performOnMainThread

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon May 16 21:05:50 CEST 2005

On 16-mei-2005, at 20:01, gandreas at gandreas.com wrote:

>>> So, it appears that performSelectorOnMainThread needs some way to
>>> release the lock to let Python code in the main thread be
>>> executed.  Any suggestions for workarounds?
>>>

>> Update to PyObjC from svn and see if that makes a difference.
>>

> Can't do that - the goal is to provide something that, at worse,
> requires the user to install a given binary package (PyOXIDE is
> designed to directly call packman if it detects PyObjC not being
> installed, to make things as transparent as possible). If I require
> the user to download the latest sources and compile it, that becomes
> a nightmare.

Checking the latest PyObjC doesn't mean you must ship it. The bug may
be fixed in SVN head, that would save us a lot of time :-)

BTW. I don't see why you couldn't ship a version of PyObjC inside your
app bundle. If you're running user scripts in a seperate interpreter
you should make sure that the stuff in your bundle isn't on the search
path, users scripts should only see system-wide stuff.

BTW2. Relying on a user-installed version of PyObjC is bad: what if
PyObjC 1.7 breaks PyOxide and an unsuspecting user installs that. I'd be
very surprised if a standalone application breaks because I install a
new
library.

Ronald