[Pythonmac-SIG] MacCVSX and Python

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon May 16 04:00:05 CEST 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Antoine Davous wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem (same OS, same softwares, same
> versions).
>
> I solved it (but who knows if it is really correct ?) by :
> - first installing _tkinter-2.3-binary (you have done it also)
> - and then by copying the library in the Python main installation's
> library with command :
>
> sudo  cp -p  /Library/Python/2.3/_tkinter.so
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/
> python2.3/
> lib-tk/.
>
> I decide this by looking paths carefully on error messages. Now, it is
> working great with no more error message in console. But again,
> maybe I
> am totally wrong ?

Yes, you are wrong.  If you build Tkinter apps with py2app, using
your hacked configuration, then they will not run on anyone else's
machine, since _tkinter will not be included if it's in the system
location.

The problem is that you installed packages for Mac OS X 10.3 on Mac
OS X 10.4 and expected it to Just Work.  It doesn't.  The path
changed, that's why it says "Mac OS X 10.3" instead of "Mac OS X 10.3+".

In order for this to work correctly, without mangling your paths and
messing up your system, you need to install the TigerPython23Compat
package from pythonmac.org packages <http://pythonmac.org/packages/>.