[Pythonmac-SIG] (no subject)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon May 9 17:45:20 CEST 2005

On May 9, 2005, at 11:22 AM, konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:

> On May 9, 2005, at 17:05, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> It should be, are you sure it's not?  If the module links to the
>> dylib, it will get picked
>>

> Ahh... I found it. It's in "Frameworks", where I wouldn't have
> expected it, considering that it's not from any framework. But if
> that's what works, I don't mind :-)

Frameworks and dylibs go into the Frameworks directory of an
application bundle, it's standard.

> The reason my application didn't work was a different one: it
> picked up inappropriate modules from PYTHONPATH. I fixed this by
> setting sys.path explicitly in __boot__.py, but I wonder if it
> wouldn't be a good idea in general to make packaged Python
> applications ignore PYTHONPATH altogether (by setting it to
> something empty in the startup stub). I have some good reasons to
> use PYTHONPATH in my setup, and I know how to handle it, but I
> don't expect double-clickable applications (about which I normally
> don't even need to know that they were written in Python) to be
> affected by it.

Well, you might think that you have particularly good reasons to use
PYTHONPATH, but pth files can do the same thing in a more predictable
way.  Perhaps it should ignore PYTHONPATH, but why?  NOTHING else
does.  It targets every single python interpreter in the system, why
should this be any different?