[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app on Tiger

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Mar 17 16:48:41 CET 2005

On Mar 17, 2005, at 10:37, Charles Hartman wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2005, at 9:39 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> You *may* need to compile the Python framework and all of the
>> extensions that you use on Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther).  If you *do*
>> compile them on Mac OS X 10.3, then they will surely work on Mac OS X
>> 10.3.  If you compile them on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), they *might*
>> work on Mac OS X 10.3.  It really depends on how they're written,
>> what they link to, and how they link to it.  Testing is necessary.
>
> Do I have this straight:
>
> 1. *Until* I upgrade to Tiger (proably a few months), I can keep
> working on 10.3, and what I build (using Apple-distributed framework
> 2.3 and wxPython 2.5.3.x or 2.5.4.x when I upgrade that) will work on
> *both* 10.3 and 10.4?

I didn't say that.  I said it would work if you compiled a Python
framework.  I said nothing of whether using the Apple-distributed
framework would be compatible.  Applications using the stock Python
2.3.x might (let's upgrade that to "will probably") work on both 10.3
or 10.4, but there is no guarantee, and it's unlikely to work after
that.

> 2. Once I upgrade, I will need to keep a 10.3 partition around until I
> decide to stop supporting 10.3, if ever? Not a cheery prospect, but I
> want to make sure I at least understand what it is.

Compiling extensions on 10.3 is the only way to guarantee they will
work on 10.3.  Testing on 10.3 is the only way to know if your app
works on 10.3.  The degree to which you need 10.3 depends on how often
you need to compile extensions, and how actively you're going to
support it by testing.