[Pythonmac-SIG] pygtk

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Mar 7 12:35:07 CET 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 5:11, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

>> E> hi all
>> E> i was wondering if it is possible to use pyGTK to program
>> crossplarform
>> E> python apps. I have been it checking, downloaded the installer
>> from pygtk
>> E> website but i cannot compile it so far. I have been trying to
>> install it
>> E> with packman but i cannot see it.
>> E> I want it to create a opengl window. So far i have been using
>> wxpython but
>> E> as i want to do something simple somebody suggested me that GTK
>> might be
>> E> good solution.
>
> You should be aware that pygtk works only with X11, it won't give you a
> native Aqua interface. This is because GTK is not native on MacOSX.
> And yes, it can be compiled (I did it myself).

To my knowledge, here is a pretty complete list of how you can get an
Aqua OpenGL window from Python:

- wxPython
- PyObjC (not cross-platform, but light and easy)
- PyOpenGL (via GLUT, which kinda sucks, but good enough for some
things)
- pygame (only one window per app)
- Tkinter (via Togl, if that still compiles)