[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: repackaging MacPython (was: Re: broken modules)

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Mar 3 16:29:42 CET 2005

Bob wrote:

>If you named it carbon, it would definitely be the cause of
>headaches and confusion due to the default case insensitivity of
>HFS+ and the similarity to the existing namespace.

'lo-carb'? :) I wasn't exactly putting any thought into it; nit-picky
details really aren't important here. To summarise:

My main suggestion was that the whole Carbon package plus other
Mac-specific modules might be moved out of the Python.framework
distribution and into a separate 'MacAll' distribution (c.f.
Win32All), leaving Python.framework as basically just a plain-vanilla
framework build of the standard Python distribution. That'd allow the
Mac community to evolve the Mac-specific stuff at its own rate,
rather than being inextricably tied to the slower (and slowing?)
upgrade cycle of standard Python.

IOW, loosen the couplings between standard Python and Mac-specific
extensions without changing any of the content or behaviour,  because
Loose Coupling = Better. I know Jack's mulled over this idea of
repackaging MacPython (though I dunno to what extent) and I
personally believe it has serious merit, even if this thread does
seem to keep losing sight of it by sidetracking into nitpicky details
(hey, mea-culpa, seeing as it's my thread:p).

Anyway, I've probably said my bit about as well as I can and I'm off
for the next week, so I'm going to leave it there and maybe someone
else can run with the thought if they want to.

Cheers,

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/