broken modules (was: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] CFURL Pain)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Mar 2 22:39:05 CET 2005

On Mar 2, 2005, at 16:02, has wrote:

>>> Why so long? Merely refactoring the distribution doesn't break
>>> backwards compatibility so I don't see why the reorganisation
>>> couldn't be done during 2.4's tenure?
>>
>> As I stated before, "MacAll" can't use the Carbon namespace, so this
>> trivial reorganization is not possible.
>
> It could if you just punted the _entire_ Carbon namespace into MacAll.
> Or are there dependencies in the core Python framework that prevent
> this? And if there is, hell, why not just deprecate the whole thing
> and create a new 'carbon' namespace in MacAll and tell folk to use
> that in future? You might never get rid of Carbon, but at least it'll
> get it sufficiently out the way for a clean new officially sanctioned
> version to set up shop.

If you punted the entire Carbon namespace into MacAll, it wouldn't be
compatible with any current Python, which is a non-starter.
If you named it carbon, it would definitely be the cause of headaches
and confusion due to the default case insensitivity of HFS+ and the
similarity to the existing namespace.

Anyway, many of the things in the Carbon namespace aren't Carbon at
all.  QuickTime, for example.