[Pythonmac-SIG] [q] Help with choosing "right" python port

Sheila King sheila at thinkspot.net
Tue Aug 9 20:54:02 CEST 2005

--On Tuesday, August 9, 2005 8:40 PM +0200 Robert Valsjö
<robert at venetwork.net> wrote:

> Bob's pages seems more updated. Is this the new "official" python for
> Mac (Framework based)?

Where is "Bob's pages" ? Are these the ones at undefined.org?

I've installed Bob's version of Python 2.4.1 recently under Tiger and found
it to go much more smoothly for me than anything I tried to do with the
"official" or for that matter "Bob's" python under Panther. I could not get
the requisite Tcl-aqua libraries installed properly under Panther (not that
I tried very hard when it didn't work out of the box).

Personally, as someone new to Macs (long time Python user ... well, 4+
years, anyhow) coming from Windows/Linux, I found it very difficult to get
oriented as to what I should try to install on my Mac for using up-to-date
Python. (Clearly, this is reflected in the originating email for this
thread, as well as a recent post at discussions.apple.com in the Developer
forum under the title "Python".)

Newcomers to Mac have a very difficult time at present deciding what Python
to install and I think it is a real shame that the MacPython site,
officially linked from Python.org, does not clearly and plainly address
this issue.

I've lurked on this list for a few months now, and it took me a long time
to figure out where and how to get "Bob's" python. It shouldn't be that
hard. (Yes, I know I could have just asked...but how many people do you
want posting to this list asking that question all the time? It should be
easy to figure out from the web pages...)

Sorry for the Tuesday morning rant. Off to get more coffee...

--
Sheila King
sheila at thinkspot.net
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/