[Pythonmac-SIG] [q] Help with choosing "right" python port

Robert Valsjö robert at venetwork.net
Tue Aug 9 20:40:46 CEST 2005

Hi all!

This is my first mail to this mailing list. I'm just starting with
Python. I've tried some PHP, Java, C and Pascal before, and of course
Prograph from Pictorius ;-)

OK I'm a longtime Mac user and I really want to develop Python on
this platform (Mac OS X).

I've read many mails on the most popular python mailling lists and I
can't really decide which IDE and also which python distribution I
should choose.

E.g I've seen that Jack Jansen official python for Mac webpages
dosen't seem to be updated. Is that site "dead"?

Bob's pages seems more updated. Is this the new "official" python for
Mac (Framework based)?

Even Activestate has now a distribution for Macs.

I've also some questions about IDE's for Mac (sorry for this, I know
this have been discussed before but that is your latest opinions).

OK I should tell you that today I'm using Xcode, emacs and vi, but I
would like to have a "real" IDE.

I've looked at WingIDE, IDLE, Komodo (the new beta), SPE, Eric3.

Komodo looks very interesting (someone testing this?). WingIDE
website is not updated (dead?).

SPE looks interesting, but what I can see is it just one person
developing this. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, what do you suggest? Is python a good choice for development
on Macs. I hope this is the case.

The last question. I been following the mailing list python-
list at python.org and there been some discussion about python's future.
Some is suggesting other languages than python, e.g Ruby, PHP, Haskell.

What is your opinion about python's future in general term not just
for Macs?

Thanx! :-)

/rob

Robert Valsjö

"Of course there are intelligent beings in the Universe,
otherwise they would have come here a long time ago"  ;-)