[Pythonmac-SIG] \r in string causes eval to fail

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 15 22:42:03 CEST 2004

Michael Hudson wrote:
> "Chris Barker" <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> writes:
>

>>Michael Hudson wrote:
>>

>>>Semi-seriously, I'd guess that everyone who's bumped into this has
>>>found it easier to normalize the line feeds in Python than hack the
>>>parser (it's a little scary).
>>
>>Would you need to hack the parser? I'd be inclined to simply put a
>>filter in before the parser, just like I'd do in user code:
>>
>>CodeString = FixLineFeeds(CodeString)
>>eval(CodeString)
>

> Did you read what I said?

yes, but I didn't write what I meant, at least not clearly.

What I was trying to say was that rather than hack the parser, one could
just insert a line feed fixer _before_ the parser, INSIDE eval and
friends, essentially moving the python code I wrote, into eval. I can't
imagine this would be hard, but it wouldn't get you any performance
benefits over just writing one extra line of python.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov