[Pythonmac-SIG] bundlebuilder question: snack (tcl extension)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Sep 11 18:55:18 CEST 2004

On 10 Sep 2004, at 01:52, Russell E Owen wrote:
> Also, any suggestions for a better sound package. All I want to do is
> play sound queues in a Tkinter-based Python application. (Thus all I
> want to do is play sound files asynchronously). Snack seems to work,
> but installation is a bit of a pain.

My first choices would be Sound Manager (Carbon.Snd) or quicktime
(Carbon.Qt). Sound Manager should not interfere with Tkinter (at least,
I can't see how it could), but it's a rather old toolbox (and so is the
Python interface) so it can be a bit quirky to get working. But there
are examples. Actually, I think the Audio_mac module (in Lib/plat-mac)
may already do what you want, just make sure you keep it fed with
enough samples (for example in a Tkinter timer callback). If it doesn't
do the right thing it's a good example anyway. Caveat: I haven't used
this module in a long time, and I'm not sure anyone else ever did.

QuickTime needs to be told not to open visual elements (such as it's
playback control panel), and then it should be fine with Tkinter too.
Goldman