[Pythonmac-SIG] Request for help for 2.4

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Jul 16 00:00:51 CEST 2004

Folks,
I need help debugging things I'm doing for 2.4, so I would be grateful
if people would migrate to it if they can.

The most important change that is already in 2.4a1 (i.e. you can try it
now!) is Bob's fix for the "two python problem": on 10.3 extensions are
linked in such a way that they should work in any interpreter.
*BUT* because I'm not 100% convinced yet that this fix doesn't break
anything, and to ensure backwards compatibility, this feature is only
enabled if you have MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 in your environment
when configuring and building python.

Currently, distutils complains if you had that setting during configure
but not when building extensions. This is the safest route, but also a
bit of a nuisance. For a later alpha or beta release I can see three
routes we could take:
1. Do away with the whole thing because it breaks things (I don't think
this will happen)
2. Leave as-is, i.e. you must have MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 set to
enable the new functionality.
3. Make life a bit easier: if MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET isn't set during
distutils extension building we set it to the value at configure time.
4. Make life still easier: if you're on 10.3 and
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET isn't set during configure we set it to
"10.3". This means naive 10.3 users get the 2-python-fix automatically,
but isn't consistent with Apple's usage (which says that
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET defaults to 10.1). But I'm not sure of the
value of Apple's default, as your object files may be 10.1 compatible
if you build on 10.3 but your libraries sure aint.

For now, I'd like people to build and test with
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 and report their findings.
Goldman