[Pythonmac-SIG] Still trying to get matplotlib to compile

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Jul 15 12:19:21 CEST 2004

On 15 Jul 2004, at 00:33, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> distutils is only good at finding Python's compiler/linker settings
> and Python's headers.
>
> matplotlib has custom code to find Tcl/Tk in its setup.py, and that
> custom code is not doing the right thing.  I suggest you bring this up
> with them, I don't have time to take a closer look.

Most setup.py scripts have a method detect_tkinter() that at some point
has been copied from Python's main setup.py and modified to suit the
needs of the package. As tcl/tk on MacOSX is organized differently from
the way it is on onther unixen (or windows, for that matter) this needs
work. setup.py from a python source distribution may be a good starting
point.

Another good starting point would be setup.py from PIL, which doesn't
derive from detect_tkinter().

See which of these matches your matplotlib setup.py best and pick up
the modifications. And don't forget to post your changes back to the
matplotlib folks...
Goldman