[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems with pimp in 2.3.4

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jul 6 23:14:37 CEST 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 4:55 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2004, at 00:05, Markus Neff wrote:
>> I just tried the GUI Package manager and pimp.py and both seem as
>> they would work now. Before I go on, please allow one further
>> question: is it possible to install the listed binary packages into
>> any Python 2.3.x version (binary compatibility)?
>
> That is definitely the intention of Python micro-releases, so if this
> isn't the case please let me know.

But it isn't necessarily the case.  Each .so will have a mach-o load
command pointing to some particular Python path, except when using the
-undefined dynamic_lookup linker flag on 10.3.  Has that linking style
been backported to any 2.3.x release?

The .so's can be rewritten using macholib or install_name_tool, but
that is not guaranteed to work because in rare situations there is not
enough space left in the header to change the path name.  I've never
actually seen that edge case myself, but I know it's possible and I've
heard that other people have ran into it.