[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Accessing the USB Ports

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Jul 3 15:47:14 EDT 2004

On 7/3/2004 4:08, "Benjamin Schollnick" <junkster at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2004, at 7:00 AM, Benjamin Schollnick wrote:
>
> Folks,
> (@#$@#$@#$ Did it again...  Forgot to change my email account in
> mail...@#$@$)
>
> I have been thinking of doing something strange and potentially useful.
>
> Is there any way to "control" a USB port from MacPython?
>
> I'm considering actually breaking apart a usb cable and using it as a
> rely control,
> so I would need to be able to force a line or two high, or low on
> demand...
>
> Heck sending real data through the USB port might be helpful too....
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cross platform Windows/Linux/Mac would be best, but.....

Reading the specs on at least USB 1.1 and 2.0 would likely be a decent first
step.  USB is a remarkably complicated serial protocol...after reading the
spec, a likely reaction is "how does this thing ever work"...particularly
the high speed devices.

One likely place is
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/
(Early hit on Google for USB+specification)

  --John