[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [pygame] python + pygame on OSX

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Feb 24 13:40:08 EST 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, at 1:14 PM, Keith Nemitz wrote:

>> In any case, it is an extremely bad idea to write to the application
>> bundle, and that may have something to do with your trouble.  The
>> appropriate place for writing files would most likely be
>> "/Library/Application Support/YourApplication" or
>> "~/Library/Application Support/YourApplication", unless they are
>> plist preferences..
>>

> I think it would be an extremely good idea to allow an app to be able
> to write to itself. Currently, my app is 100% cross platform, thanks
> to the good people at py*. Now I'm going to have to sully my hands
> again with religious doctrine and programmer machismo.

That's too bad :)  Apple says don't do it with good reason.  You can
run into various locking/permissions problems (i.e. if the app was on a
CD-ROM, on a Server, owned by another user, etc.) if you do, and they
offer perfectly good alternatives that are flexible for almost any
purpose and do not have such issues.  You shouldn't be doing such
things on any platform, especially not OS X.

If you would like to modify your own app bundle, I strongly suggest
making a copy of the app and changing that.. as is common for creating
a self-contained presentation from a presentation-viewer, or a
self-extracting archive, etc.