[Pythonmac-SIG] Let's discuss MacPython distributions for january

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sun Dec 26 22:09:16 CET 2004

On 24-dec-04, at 1:01, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> In january I'd like to get two MacPythons out:
>> - MacPython 2.4.1 (full installer for Panther, time permitting for
>> Jaguar too)
>> - MacPython 2.3 additions, version 3
>
> There is the small issue of Zope X3 not being compatible with
> MacPython 2.3.0 .. so perhaps a 2.3.5 distro should also be
> considered, or considered instead of the additions?

Well, I definitely want a version 3 of the additions, to replace the
current one. A 2.3.5 MacPython distribution wouldn't tie in with
Apple's Python. But is there any reason to have the whole MacPython
stuff (toolbox modules, etc) to run Zope? Because if there isn't then a
simple Python 2.3.5 (non-framework, standard unix build, installed into
/usr/local) should do the trick. Actually, if we get everything right
in the source tree then the darwinports or fink distribution should
work just fine.

>> The second feature is that they'll finally have the newer version of
>> Package Manager (or, actually, the underlying pimp module), which
>> allows the maintainer (me:-) to have a single database for all 10.3.X
>> releases of MacOSX.
>
> Hopefully the GUI bugs are fixed too?

They should be. But could you check in the bug database whether there
are any still open, please?

> What about distributing a version of Ronald's written-in-PyObjC
> PackageManager instead, and having MacPython 2.4.1 and MacPython 2.3.5
> coming batteries included with PyObjC 1.2 plus py2app 1.7 (replacing
> BuildApplet with py2applet)?

Later, later. First I want to get distributions out that are pretty
similar to what we have now, but with the problems (conflicts when
building plugin modules, endless hassle to keep PackMan database up to
date) fixed.

> +0 for any patches to 2.3.x explicitly for Fink or Darwinports.

Not specifically for Fink or Darwinports, but I want to get the
-undefined dynamic_lookup fix into the source distributions for 2.3.x
(and 2.4.x), so fink and darwinports should pick it up automatically.
Unless they have their own fixes, and in that case their fixes are
either just as good, or else we can scald the in public:-)
Goldman