[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Oct 6 05:57:42 EDT 2003

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:

[silly crypto laws]

> That is really depressing.  Being a US citizen I don't generally think
> of or hear about other places having worse crypto laws than we do.
> Except for China, I guess, but these things are almost never involved
> in my normal thought processes.
>
> Ok, so now that hopes are dashed on this front, how about PackMan
> whines every time you use it (which you can turn off from the UI, if
> you are in a country where using pycrypto would be illegal and you
> aren't interesting in breaking any laws) until pycrypto is installed?
> This would be similar to how a web browser behaves when a SSL
> certificate is not trusted.

This sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps the Python installer should already know the md5 of the
pyCrypto download...

> I have memories of using Perl's CPAN, and it whining about not having
> a lot of internet related modules when you used it on a fresh Perl
> installation.  One of the things it whined about was not having an md5
> module for testing the authenticity of packages.

Heh.  My understanding is that hash functions are OK pretty much
everywhere (though there's probably somewhere they're not...).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  It *is*, however, rather juvenile, in contravention of the
  Trades Descriptions Act, and will lead eventually to the Dragon