[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Fri Oct 3 13:41:40 EDT 2003

Hi all,

What about making it an 'add-on' for Package Manager? I do see this as
getting potentially very messy to get into Python core, if it is even
possible. (And even if we could, it would restrict ways in which
vendors from other countries could re-package the software - i.e. Linux
vendor X in country Y may have to remove PM from their distro because
of legal issues) Just make a prompt when the software is first run,
saying something like: "While every effort is made to ensure that
packages are legitimate and safe, some packages could contain viruses
or malicious code that when run could cause harm to your computer.
Please be aware that there is some risk involved, especially if you are
country allows the import and use of cryptographic software, you may
download an update to Package Manager that adds more verification
controls for package authors from 'your URL here'." Or of course make
the add-in show up in PackageManager itself. =) I think this is a
compromise which side-steps any legal issues that might arise.

Thanks,

Kevin