[Pythonmac-SIG] Python modules that are a PITA

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick@usa.xerox.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:28:51 -0500

> We're using the following snippet in the setup.py for PyObjC,
> use something like this in PYTHONSTARTUP file when building and
> installing extension modules:
>
> if sys.platform == 'darwin':
>      # Apple has used build options that don't work with a
>      # Remove '-arch i386' from the LDFLAGS.
>      import distutils.sysconfig
>      distutils.sysconfig.get_config_vars()
>      x = distutils.sysconfig._config_vars['LDSHARED']
>      y = x.replace('-arch i386', '')
>      if y != x:
>          print "Fixing Apple strangeness in Python configuration"
>          distutils.sysconfig._config_vars['LDSHARED'] = y

Ron,

The snippet works, but... I think this is a little clearer...

if sys.platform == 'darwin':
	# Apple ... blah ...
	import distutils.sysconfig
	x = distutils.sysconfig._config_vars['LDSHARED']
	if x.find ("-arch i386") == 1:
		# Fixing Apple config...
		print "Fixing Apple strangeness in Python configuration"
		distutils.sysconfig._config_vars ['LDSHARED'] = x.replace
("-arch i386", "")

Please don't think your code isn't readable, I just consider the obvious
test statement to be slightly clearer....

			- Benjamin