[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [wxPython-mac] Draft wxPackageManager Screenshot

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 31 11:47:07 EDT 2003

Kevin Ollivier wrote:
> it's at a point where I can take a picture and get
> some comments on UI issues.

It looks great.

> - the options box needs to be moved up a bit, I'm using sizers so I
> need to play with this some more ;-)

Frankly, I think it looks just fine, but you could put a space at the
bottom if you wanted. Let me know if you want any help with this.

> - I'd like there to be some way of visually conveying the status of a
> package. I'm leaning towards little green/yellow/red gumdrops
> (installed/outdated/not installed) next to the package name but I have
> to figure out how to put those into a list box or something similar,
> maybe a wxListCtrl. Or is this overkill?

No. Visual feedback is important, and I'm pretty sure you can put an
icon in a wxListControl, at least in the first column. Note that there
is talk of having the packages in some kind of hierarchical list, so a
tree control may be warranted.

Another option is to make the text itself a different color.

> - I'm planning on adding a "Show only: Installed/Not
> installed/Outdated/Not installed and outdated" combobox above the
> package list so that people can filter and see only what they need.

Perhaps a set of check boxes:

O show installed
X show outdated
X show uninstalled

That way it would be clear what you are looking at, and the user could
select any combo they wanted.

> Please let me know what you think!

It looks great!

And if this provides an incentive to make wxPython a "Battery", all the
better!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov