[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing PyObjC via PackMan

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com
Thu Jul 31 11:53:56 EDT 2003

On donderdag, jul 31, 2003, at 07:39 Europe/Amsterdam, Ronald Oussoren
wrote:
> The PyObjC examples/documentation are not installed using distutils,
> and I assume this means they are not installed by PacMan. You could
> download the PyObjC installer for Python 2.2, the .DMG also contains a
> folder containing the Examples and Documentation. That should work
> just fine with Python 2.3.

Ah, yes, all the installers have this problem: supporting documents
like examples and documentation aren't installed.

I think we need to do two things about this:
- for the future, think of a way this could be added to distutils.
- for now, we need a way to give users who do a binary install of a
package a way to get access to the examples. One way would be to create
an extra installer, pyobjc_examples-1.0b2-binary, that would put the
examples and any other interesting stuff you don't get with a binary
install into /Applications/MacPython-2.3/Extras.

Does this sound like a workable plan?
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -