[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: new 2.3rc1+ installer

Andrew Shearer ashearer at lifespan.org
Wed Jul 23 15:40:52 EDT 2003

Thanks, Jack, for all the hard work on this! This is looking to be a
great release.

The installer log had some warnings near the beginning:

	Failed to write location '/' to
/tmp/.MacPython-OSX.pkg.1582.upgrade/Receipts/MacPython-OSX.pkg/
Contents/Resources/MacPython-OSX.loc
	Not removing
/./Applications/MacPython-2.3/IDLE.app/Contents/Resources/idlelib
because it is not empty.
	Not removing /./Applications/MacPython-2.3/IDLE.app/Contents/Resources
because it is not empty.
	Not removing /./Applications/MacPython-2.3/IDLE.app/Contents because
it is not empty.
	Not removing /./Applications/MacPython-2.3/IDLE.app because it is not
empty.
	Not removing /./Applications/MacPython-2.3/Extras/Demo/stdwin because
it is not empty.

These are probably minor, but I'm not sure how to interpret the first
line; I wonder if is has anything to do with my root being non-writable
(and therefore sendmail-friendly), though that still doesn't match the
message. The "not removing" warnings aren't a problem now, but may
cause future installers to leave an outdated file around if it has been
renamed or deleted in the newer Python version.

An idea: the post-install script spends a while compiling the "test"
directory, which isn't necessary for most users, so it could be skipped.

As for the truncated Installer ReadMe, saving as RTF rather than
hard-wrapped plain text may help. I don't know if this happened to
anyone else, but when I launched the installer, I saw about several
blank lines at the top, and a couple of the lines below were strangely
wrapped (meaning the original was wrapped at a larger width than the
Installer window's). Fixing those would gain about seven lines. On top
of that we could make the text smaller if necessary.

I'm sure the text will change before 2.3 final, but here's another
draft with light edits to punctuation anyway. (Let me know if I should
submit an RTF version somewhere.) It would be nice if we could find out
for sure if the installer does work in the Panther preview so we could
drop the Panther clause.

-begin
This package will install MacPython 2.3rc1+ for Mac OS X 10.2. It will
not work on Mac OS X 10.1 and earlier, while installation on the
Panther preview may work.

Installation requires approximately 20 MB of disk space. Ignore the
message that it will take zero bytes. You must install onto your
current boot disk (even though the installer does not enforce this)
otherwise MacPython will not work.

MacPython consists of the Python programming language interpreter, plus
a set of Macintosh programs to allow easy access to it (an integrated
development environment, a Python extension package manager) and a set
of pre-built extension modules that open up specific Macintosh
technologies to Python programs (Carbon, AppleScript, QuickTime, and
more).

The installer places applications in a MacPython-2.3 subfolder of your
Applications folder, along with command-line tools in /usr/local/bin,
and the underlying machinery in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework.

The PythonIDE application has a Help command that gets you started
quickly with MacPython and contains references to other documentation.

For more information on MacPython, see
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html. For more information on Python
in general, see http://www.python.org.
-end

As far as actual functionality, it's working well so far.

--
Andrew Shearer
Medical Computing, Lifespan