[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only - new OSX 2.3b2 installer

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jul 7 18:21:12 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Jul 3, 2003, at 17:44 America/New_York, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> a new MacPython-2.3b2 installer for OSX is available. The only change
> is that
> Package Manager should now work, and that the underlying bug in
> bundlebuilder.py
> has been fixed.
>
> Please try and report your findings, so I can hopefully do a wider
> announcement
> tomorrow.
>
> And thank you all *very* much for the feedback you gave. Keep it
> coming and we're
> going to make this one hell of a release!

Somewhere along the line, I think you may be including a Fink-linked
readline with your distribution (and not in site-packages, either).
That's bad, please don't do that :)

bgenlocations.py should look in
/Applications/MacPython-2.3/Extras/Tools/bgen/bgen/ and not
/Users/jack/src/python/Tools/bgen/bgen/.  This obviously isn't
particularly relevant to most people, but I'm curious about playing
with bgen, especially to potentially automate more of ctypes.  How come
python stuff ends up in /Applications/MacPython-2.3/ instead of
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/ anyways?

I'm not sure if you answered this when I asked last week, but do you
have any PackageManager database maintainer documentation anywhere, or
is it "read the source, luke" at this point?

PackageManager should probably let you choose a tarball/zip/folder on
disk (or drag + drop) and look for a setup.py that it would do the
Usual Thing with.  Perhaps also let you choose an arbitrary .py file
and scan for 'distutils' -- but I've only seen a
called-something-other-than-setup.py distutils installer in one package
(it had multiple setup-prefixed installers that installed different
related modules, and an annoying no-op setup.py.. so I would say this
is a bug on his part).