[Pythonmac-SIG] How to activate color ncurses

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Jul 7 14:12:28 EDT 2003

Gabriel Birke <strauchdieb at gmx.de> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Has anyone got curses working with colors in the standard terminal?
> How do I activate the colors?
>
> I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.6 with Python 2.3a2 in
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/
>
> I've tried setting TERM to another value and installing
> terminfo/termcap databases with color entries but the only result I
> got were garbled or "ugly" (= plain character) lines for borders.
>
> If you can't make it work in Terminal, maybe someone has a tip for
> xterm?

You could try TERM=Apple_Terminal (but then don't log into any other
machines).

Or, bizarrely, you could try running under screen.

(This whole area is a spectacular mess, and has been for about as long
as I've been alive, AFAICT).

Cheers,
M.

--
  Slim Shady is fed up with your shit, and he's going to kill you.
                         -- Eminem, "Public Service Announcement 2000"