[Pythonmac-SIG] Boa runs fine under OSX

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Sat Jul 5 14:16:49 EDT 2003

The speed problem is more likely due to the use of the Carbon API and
WaitNextEvent. In order to make other apps more responsive and reduce the
percent of CPU consumed when a Python/wxPython app is running, the default
polling was reduced several versions ago in wxPython. One result is that
event heavy operations like text editing that aren't handled entirely by a
native widget can feel unresponsive. The only real solution is a version of
wxWindows based on the Cocoa API.

This is just my guess based on past messages. Robin Dunn may be able to
provide a more complete explanation as well as provide some guess as to when
and if a wxWindows based on Cocoa might appear.

The anti-aliased text probably contributes a bit too. Almost all drawing
operations on Mac OS X with wxWindows are slower compared to Windows or GTK
assuming a roughly equivalent accelerated video card. A switch to a
Cocoa-based API might help a lot with that problem.

There is the setting in the system prefs for controlling the minimum point
size of anti-aliased text system-wide.

ka